We flew home to NZ recently to visit family, and my beautiful sister Kerryn picked up some maple syrup on her way through Canada for me.
There is no substitute for real maple syrup. That is, syrup that comes from a tree. In Canada. No artificial flavourings here.
Things I could use real maple syrup for:
- pouring over crepes or pancakes
- pouring on porridge in place of brown sugar
- a fine coating on carrots before roasting
- a fine coating on Brussels sprouts before coating (Kerryn insists that I'll never go back to my version)
- glazing ham
- drinking straight from the bottle