Saturday, June 30, 2012

Shanks very much

...Sorry, I inherited my father's sense of humour.  He is very punny.

My local butcher was offering wallaby shanks last week, and I couldn't resist.  He agreed that they are similar to kangaroo, being very lean, but less "gamey" in flavour.

IMG_2558

The following is the same technique I use for lamb shanks, without any adjustments for time (the shanks were about the same size).  If anything, they were a little dry (being so lean), and if I try this again I would probably prefer to cook them in a sauce or something to retain moisture.

And the conclusion?  Not bad, but they lacked the sweetness of lamb - nice for a change, but I have not been converted!

IMG_2545 


The deep colour of the meat definitely reminded me of kangaroo!


IMG_2544


Vegetables add sweetness, and moisture while cooking.  I also halved a couple of garlic cloves lengthways.


IMG_2548

Sear the shanks and set aside.  Brown sliced vegetables in a teaspoon of butter, or a little streaky bacon (or both!) - just to kick off the caramelisation.


IMG_2551 to 

Place the shanks on top of the vegetables, and add a tablespoon of red wine or port.
Cover, and cook for 2-3 hours at 180C (drop the dial back for the last hour if you are going for three hours - I left it at 160C for the last hour)


IMG_2559

IMG_2571


IMG_2576

Serve with Puy Lentils and green vegetables (and the veges from the pan, they are delicious!)  Pour over any juices which are left in the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment